HISTORIC VALENTOWN MUSEUM / VICTOR HISTORICAL SOCIETY
1 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: (offline)   (Read 90 times)  

Nana Olney's Potato Candy

Nana Olney lived in New Hampshire and always made potato candy for us at Christmas time and other special occasions. She led an interesting life from playing the piano for vaudeville, helping with the dairy farm or managing the church gift shop from her home. She had huge vegetable and flower gardens and always had fresh flowers from the green house. She made me hot chocolate and peanut butter toast before tucking me into the feather bed when I stayed over. She kept a diary of what was served to guests on what date so as not to repeat herself too often. She never sent anyone away without offering the hospitality of a meal. I loved going into the full size room which was the pantry to find a treat. If it's one thing Nana knew, it was how to cook.

So we come to the potato candy. We moved to California when I was fifteen. Christmas comes and packages arrive from back home. There is a box labeled “put in fridge when this arrives”. My holiday is complete. I have my potato candy. At once it makes me feel like I am back home with all the family. This was a tradition to be repeated many years.

I have since made this treat with my sons. It's not the same as Nana's but I love continuing the tradition.

I hope you all enjoy these as much as I have.
Submitted by Shari Lynn MacKay Murray Kosmerl

Nana's Potato Candy

½ cup mashed potato
1 package powered sugar
1 package coconut
1 Teaspoon vanilla
4 squares unsweetened chocolate

Mix all together and spread on a piece of waxed paper on a cookie sheet
Melt 2 squares chocolate and spread on top.
Place in fridge
When cold, turn over and spread other 2 squares melted chocolate on top and return to fridge.
When cold, cut into squares. Store in fridge.

To make individual chocolates, cut and dip chunks into chocolate and return to fridge to harden.

Yes, I said this.

Forum Admin
Admin

Website Manager

1 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Welcome!

Clicking on the individual images in our Exhibit Albums gives more information about it.

Check out our Forums for News, Announcements and Fun Stuff:

Who's Online
Guest Users: 70