HISTORIC VALENTOWN MUSEUM / VICTOR HISTORICAL SOCIETY
1 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: (offline)   (Read 48 times)  

Corn Fritters (makes about 8 or 9 fritters).

This is a recipe my youngest niece shared with me. She lived on the Seneca reservation south of Buffalo for 25 years or so, was their EMT and was known as Cathy Cornsoup. The recipe was one handed down through her Native American partners family.
~Submitted by Lynne D. Perry

INGREDIENTS
1 15oz canned corn (drained and reserve juice)
2 medium eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp bacon grease from fat for frying (or substitute butter, but bacon grease is better).

DIRECTIONS

1) In a medium size bowl, combine the eggs and 1/4 cup of the reserved juice from the canned corn, and use a whisk to beat the eggs until smooth.
2) Add the salt, flour, baking powder and sugar. Mix very well until there are no more lumps.
3) Add the drained corn, and mix again.

NOTE: You can optionally toss in a small amount of things like parsley or finely chopped pepper at this point.

4) Heat the bacon grease in a large iron skillet over medium high heat. When the fat is hot, it's time to drop in the fritters.
5) Drop about 1/4 cup of the corn batter per fritter into the grease, and flatten them a little with a spatula. You should be able to fit 3 or 4 at a time.
6) Fry them until the underside is a crispy brown then flip them and when both sides are a crispy brown, transfer them to a plate to keep warm.

NOTE: These make a nice light dinner when served with applesauce, or salad, or fruit. Also a nice breakfast if you treat them like thick pancakes and top with some maple syrup.

Yes, I said this.

Forum Admin
Admin

Website Manager

1 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Welcome!

Clicking on the individual images in our Exhibit Albums gives more information about it.

Check out our Forums for News, Announcements and Fun Stuff:

Who's Online
Guest Users: 15