HISTORIC VALENTOWN MUSEUM / VICTOR HISTORICAL SOCIETY
2 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: (offline)   (Read 179 times)  

Mom's Date Bars

My mom use to make batches of these every Christmas, and give them away in cute little cookie tins and put a plate of them out on Christmas Eve. It's a family recipe that got passed down from generation to generation. After she passed, the recipe was lost to me until my sister in law (r.i.p.) told me years later she found it in her collection of mom's recipes. I've been making it every Christmas since. But I go a little lighter on the confectionery sugar.

~Submitted by Lynne D. Perry

Ingredients:
1 Cup Flour (sifted)
1 teaspoon baking powder (baking powder, not baking soda!)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 10-ounce package dates, chopped (get the pitted ones, lots faster to work with)
1 cup walnuts
3 eggs (yeh, I know... 3 eggs!!!)
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons water
confectionery sugar to taste

Directions:
1. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt, sift into a bowl.
2. Add the chopped dates and walnuts, and mix so that dates are coated.
3. Beat the eggs in another bowl until light, then gradually add sugar, mixing as you go.
4. Stir the flour and date mixture into the eggs, then stir in the water.
5. Spread very thinly in to 1 WELL GREASED 6" x 10" baking pan.
6. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
7. While still hot, and with a super sharp knife, cut the date bars into rectangular strips or blocks.
8. Sprinkle or layer confectionery sugar on top.

Note: These are best stored in the fridge, as they can get very sticky at room temp which has an awkward effect on the confectionery sugar. I found it's best to wait for the sugar topping until you are ready to actually serve them or gift them.

Yes, I said this.

Forum Admin
Admin

Website Manager

By: (offline)    

The batter is seriously THICK, an almost looks like some kind of goop with chunks that should be tossed, but trust me...just bake it. You'll be amazed.

Yes, I said this.

Forum Admin
Admin

Website Manager

2 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Welcome!

Clicking on the individual images in our Exhibit Albums gives more information about it.

Check out our Forums for News, Announcements and Fun Stuff:

Who's Online
Guest Users: 267