Spaghetti in Garlic and Avocado Sauce
This quick and easy sauce is a tasty heart healthy alternative to tomato based and Alfredo type sauces. The sauce goes with any hot pasta, but my personal favorite pasta to use is strand pasta (spaghetti, linquini, fettucine). The other thing I love about it is you can freeze the sauce and later then thaw it out and heat it up.
~~~ Submitted by Lynne
INGREDIENTS (2 servings: 2 cups ea. of cooked pasta)
1 Avocado peeled, pitted and chopped
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 large Garlic toe, finely minced
1/4 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
Whole milk, room temp (1/4 cup to 1/2 cup depending on your preference for thickness/consistency)
1. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan.
2. Saute minced garlic in butter over low-medium heat until tender. Do not let garlic brown!
3. Remove saucepan from heat, and add chopped avocado, salt and pepper.
4. Using a potato masher, mash avocado mixture until smooth.
5. Over medium heat, gradually add room temp whole milk, stirring and mashing until sauce reaches your desired consistency.
Stir into hot pasta or serve immediately over hot pasta, and if desired sprinkle with grated Parmesan, Romano or Asiago cheese.
Though delicious all by itself, nice to add to the finished pasta are halved cherry tomato's or sauteed mushrooms. This sauce also pairs very nicely with a side of shrimp scampi, or with shrimp sauteed in garlic butter and then added to the pasta.